Active products and solutions
Actively managed equity and fixed income mutual funds and ETFs offer core or complementary solutions to an investor's portfolio.
Introducing the Schwab Ariel ESG ETF
For investors seeking a semi-transparent (also known as non-transparent) actively managed ETF that incorporates environmental, social, and governance (ESG) considerations managed by an established sub-advisor with almost 40 years of experience managing ESG investments.
What we offer
We provide active equity and fixed income funds managed by Schwab Asset Management that can serve as core or complementary components of investor portfolios. Additionally, we offer investors access to a select group of active managers through our sub-advised Laudus Funds® and the Schwab Ariel ESG ETF.
Our approach to Schwab Active Equity Funds
We believe in providing a range of active management strategies that address the nuances across equity classes to help investors achieve their objectives. With an active, high-conviction investing strategy, we can use differentiated and rigorous data-driven research to identify opportunities in U.S. Large Cap markets. Within less-researched and inefficient segments of the equity markets, we take a systematic approach that blends quantitative and qualitative insights for portfolio construction that to helps deliver the desired outcome.
Schwab Active Equity differentiators
- A disciplined investment process that integrates quantitative and qualitative research and analysis through a bottom-up approach to stock selection.
- A focus on generating consistent, risk-adjusted excess return in order to provide shareholders with long-term value.
- International, Specialty, and U.S. Small Funds’ systematic (quantitative + qualitative) approach that blends multiple stock characteristics (factors), which lessen reliance on a single component.
- U.S. Large Cap Funds managed by the same portfolio managers who oversee ThomasPartners® Strategies via a high-conviction approach that leverages fundamental research expertise.
We offer a select set of sub-advised funds to complement a portfolio’s diversification strategy. These funds are chosen by a knowledgeable and experienced management team who consider the specific objectives of the investments they manage.
Schwab Ariel ESG ETF
The Schwab Ariel ESG ETF provides investors with access to a semi-transparent/non-transparent actively managed ETF that incorporates environmental, social, and governance investment criteria from a fund manager with almost 40 years of ESG-focused management expertise.
This fund is different from traditional ETFs.
What makes the Schwab Ariel ESG ETF different from traditional ETFs?
Traditional ETFs tell the public what assets they hold each day. This fund will not. This may create additional risks for your investment. For example:
- You may have to pay more money to trade the fund’s shares. This fund will provide less information to traders, who tend to charge more for trades when they have less information.
- The price you pay to buy fund shares on an exchange may not match the value of the fund’s portfolio. The same is true when you sell shares. These price differences may be greater for this fund compared to other ETFs because it provides less information to traders.
- These additional risks may be even greater in bad or uncertain market conditions.
- The ETF will publish on its website each day a “Proxy Portfolio” designed to help trading in shares of the ETF. While the Proxy Portfolio includes some of the ETF’s holdings, it is not the ETF’s actual portfolio.
The differences between this fund and other ETFs may also have advantages. By keeping certain information about the fund secret, this fund may face less risk that other traders can predict or copy its investment strategy. This may improve the fund’s performance. If other traders are able to copy or predict the fund’s investment strategy, however, this may hurt the fund’s performance.
For additional information regarding the unique attributes and risks of the fund, see Proxy Portfolio Risk, Premium/Discount Risk, Trading Halt Risk, Authorized Participant Concentration Risk, Tracking Error Risk and Shares of the Fund May Trade at Prices Other Than NAV in the Principal Risks and Proxy Portfolio and Proxy Overlap sections of the prospectus and/or the Statement of Additional Information.
Laudus Funds provide investors access to some of the world's leading investment managers. With a rigorous manager selection process and ongoing oversight by Schwab Asset Management, Laudus Funds offer single-manager and multimanager strategies.
Schwab Tax-Free Bond Fund
Schwab Tax-Free Bond Fund™ provides the opportunity to access a diverse set of municipal bonds with the goal of maintaining a strong overall credit rating. We offer both a national and California option, backed by a robust team of credit analysts and portfolio managers keen on risk management.
We have tools available to assist advisors as they research and compare Schwab's active products.
Featured active products
See our highlighted active funds, or browse all our investment products.
See what our executives and strategists have to say about Active investing.